Thursday, June 10, 2010

Residential Life with Summer Scholars

When I first arrived to Scott Hall dorms, I was worried if I would know anybody else in the program. Students were continuously coming through the door and I didn’t recognize anybody. Finally, I saw two girls who also go to Central with me who I could possibly have a conversation with. After I received my room keys, I went upstairs to take a look at my room. My room was too small for my preference, but I knew it would all work out. I went look down the hall and found our entertainment room, which has a large flat screen television, ping-pong table and a few couches and chairs. I used the convenient elevator to go back to the lobby area. I was getting very excited for the trip to Camp Carol Joy Holling, which is located in Ashland, Nebraska.


Once everybody arrived we were told to get on our charter bus that would take us to Ashland. While on the bus we were given a sack lunch that was a turkey sandwich, chips, Oreos and bottled water. Lunch was great but I was too excited to get to the camp, so I didn't eat everything. The group name I was in while at the camp was called the mighty beans. We first went to the solo challenge courses where there was wall climbing, rope climbing, and walking across wire. We left that obstacle course to go eat lunch then had to go to another course with the zip lines. Early Saturday morning we was back at it again except it was a little less work. I had a fantastic time at the Carol Joy Holling camp and would recommend it to anyone who likes to have a good time.

My week living in the dorms was the most fun I have had in a long time. I would love to have the opportunity to do everything over again. The food we ate was good most of the time and the ice cream was delicious. I have met a lot of new friends that encouraged me to keep going with the obstacle course and made sure I did my homework. All the RTAs were awesome and they did a wonderful job entertaining me and my peers. I would like to thank Maria and who ever else that has let me have this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment